How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LandlordTenantAnswer Your Own Question
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 27630
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LandlordTenantAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son attended the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. He

Customer Question

My son attended the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. He is not returning because we cannot afford it. What can we do to mitigate our lease responsibilities.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about what you are dealing with. How much longer does he have on the lease?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All 12 months. He never took the keys. He did not enroll this semester.
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. In a situation like this, you can advertise the rental and try and find someone to sublease. If you find someone, they can move in and take possession and they can pay the monthly rent on his behalf. At the same time, once you make the landlord aware that he will not be returning and taking possession, they have a duty to try and mitigate damages and find a new tenant. Until they do he would have to pay the rent but once they find someone, that obligation will cease. Finally, an offer could be made to terminate the lease with a penalty. Of times, 2 months rent can be paid to be released and they will accept it.

Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions