How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 7348
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Stepson is renting a mobile home and paying "cash only"

Customer Question

My Stepson is renting a mobile home and paying "cash only" to the landlady. She won't accept anything else and refuses to give receipts. He also has been working on the weekends for $10.00/hr. She keeps the money in lieu of utility payments. He has kept track of the monies he has paid her and the time worked converted to dollars. She will not show the electric bills and just tells him whatever she wants to. He has, on his mother's advice and mine that he should withhold future payments until the landlady produces proof of what he owes. His work schedule has changed and now has stopped working for the landlady so he can spend time with his 11 year old son. The landlady then got angry and now has given him a 14 day eviction notice. Is this legal in Tennessee? Please advise.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 11 months ago.

You are absolutely right about obtaining receipts for rent payments. The way the situation stands, it is her word against his as to whether rent has been paid, and without a receipt, the courts are more likely to believe the landlord. All that is legal in Tennessee, as it is everywhere else. If your son is just renting the mobile home, his best course of action would be to make a deal with the lady to stay until his home purchase closes. She may decide that that's her best case also, because to do otherwise will cost her loss of rent and court costs.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks for your understanding and for using JUST ANSWER.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions