How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My landlord in Los Angeles keeps sending me notices on

Customer Question

My landlord in Los Angeles keeps sending me notices on paying late payment almost harassing me and shows me a ledger deducting it from my rent. So my rent looks as if its always not fully paid. Now I'm sent 3 day notice to pay or quit. I need law advice. I don't think this is fair. Are late charges considered rent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Just a moment as I type my response.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Under CA law, and specifically under the case Orozco v. Casimiro 121 Cal.App.4th Supp. 7 (2004), the landlord cannot charge a late fee unless (1) the lease specifically allows the late fee, and (2) the late fee is approximately the reasonable amount of the landlord's damages caused by the late payment.

If your lease either doesn't provide for the late fee, or does not have a provision that states that you agree that the late fee is a reasonable estimate of the landlord's damages caused by the lateness of the payment, then you may be able to have the late fee invalidated under the Orozco case.

Has that helped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have searched online and found this same information. This did not answer my question