How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerDavid Your Own Question
LawyerDavid, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 373
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LawyerDavid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a rental property. both people living there are on

Customer Question

I have a rental property. both people living there are on the lease. one party has been out of the house for 2 months .and she is trying to get into the house calming that the stuff in there is hers he is saying its His.. it is a tribal unit. what can I do as a care taker - land lord If she tries to come into the house ?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 12 months ago.

Dawn - in my opinion you cannot deny her access to the property if she is legally on the lease. Your only legitimate option in this instance is to evict her for breach of the lease agreement, but based on what you are saying it is my understanding the payments are being made. In short, I would advise against assisting the male tenant in keeping her out of the house because you could be held accountable by the authorities if you are found to be refusing someone access to their properly owned property. I hope this helps, and do not hesitate to let me know if I missed an important fact or you have further quesitons. All the best, David

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
what steps so I need to take to evict her ?
Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 12 months ago.

Dawn - I accidentaly typed this somewhere else, but the steps are explained very will in my opinion at this link.

I would suggest you proceed without an attorney to keep costs to a minimum, but if you have any trouble go ahead and retain one in your area in Canada. Good luck to you and please let me know if you have any follow up for me. Thanks, David

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions