Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My tenant has been renting from me since June 2016. I have

Customer Question

My tenant has been renting from me since June 2016. I have had to call the plumber twice for clog drain that floods garage. Tenants were cleaning off all food from plates into sink, over a few weeks the line became clogged with food. The first time i called the plumber it cost me $350 after hours, and I told them to clean off plates of food in waste can then rinse and use disposal. The same thing happened again the bill $150 which I said they must pay. They refuse saying the disposal doesn't work and they want a new disposal. The disposal works fine, they just expect to put everything down the sink. I told them I would let them out of lease October giving them time to find new residence.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

That is quite a troubling situation...

.

Do you have anything in your lease about them maintaining the plumbing lines and being responsible for clogs?

.

Has your plumber stated that the clogs are definitely caused by them putting everything down the drain?

.

What is your legal question I can help with tonight?

.

.

thanks