How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MDLawyer Your Own Question
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 6133
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
MDLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a vacation rental and to help out a friend's client

Customer Question

I have a vacation rental and to help out a friend's client we rented it month to month furnished and he pays utilities. He has not paid for August and we keep hearing excuses. Can we disconnect the codes to the house (we have remote control of this). What can we do? He gave notice he is leaving Sept 1
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Tucson Arizona
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: We have an agreement, he paid by check we have no credit card info but we have a $500 security deposit check.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you.

No, you cannot change the codes to the house because that would be considered an illegal conviction and you would be subject to various fines and penalties. In order to evict someone, you have to go through the actual legal process of eviction.

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 11 months ago.

When you say that you had an agreement, did you have a written month to month lease?

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions