barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I received a 30 day notice to quit, effected august 17th

Customer Question

I received a 30 day notice to quit, effected august 17th post marked July 18th giving no reason for termination is this notice legal? I have bought a house and will be in my new home before the end of September.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you under a fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am on a month to month for the past 6+ years always paid my rent in full never late.

Ok, thank you for that information. Unfortunately, in MI, either party can terminate a month to month tenancy with a written one month notice specifying the date on which the tenancy will end. Mich. Comp. Laws § 554.134

.

There is no requirement for either party to give a reason for the termination and even if you have been the best tenant ever, they can still terminate if they do so with proper notice.

.

However if you didn't move out by the end of the notice period, the landlord would have to pursue a formal eviction action in court against you and get a judgment to force you to vacate. That takes about 3-4 weeks extra depending on the court's and sheriff's schedules.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thx, I'm hoping to be in my new home before this ever gets to court. Again, thx for your time.

You are very welcome. And yes, if you just stall and delay moving out, that should give you enough time to get moved before it got to court and then the landlord wouldn't have any reason to continue pursuing this..

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks