Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

My parents passed away on January. They left a home who was

Customer Question
a kind of rent to...
My parents passed away on January. They left a home who was a kind of rent to own see where things go verbally no documents signed no kind of paper work. After my parents passed he stopped paying rent on the home. In February my dads account was still open he could have made a deposit but didn't. His last deposit was January 9 my parents passed on the 27 of January. On February 28 the accounts where transferred over to me because I was beneficiary. My sister and I went to talk to him to let him and to give him the new account number and told him that I would be taking care of my parents affairs. He said he would make the deposits but never did. Of course we had to wait a least 6 month to do the affidavit of real property. I gave him a months notice on July 6. He got a lawyer saying he wont move out because he was buying the home and has invested on it and that he had made no payments to us because he didn't know where to make the payments (which is a lie) so he started making payments to himself which is absurd. He was clearly advised by the lawyer on what to say. What can I do? Please help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
8/19/2016
Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is Richard and I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Was the rent being paid about what other renters were paying in the area where the house is? What state is the house in? Have you now been appointed as executor of your parents' estate or has the property been transferred to you and/or your sister.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer