How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MDLawyer Your Own Question
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 6135
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
MDLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tenant that does not pay... I have a condo in Florida and a

Customer Question

Tenant that does not pay...
I have a condo in Florida and a friend that lived there asked if he could rent the unit for 1 year. He agree to pay $850 per month.Since I was already in Europe for work we did never sign any contract.
He did newer pay. This was in April and we are now in August....
I have now given him so many warnings and still just try different things. He say - was in hospital, paid but paid to wrong account etc...Now the question. Can I just go there and change the door code and put his things outside? (this unit is rented with furnitures) so he just moved in with his to suitcases...
I need to sell the unit, and I want him out..
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, no, you cannot simply change the door code or locks and put his things outside. That would be considered an illegal eviction and you could be subject to heavy financial fines and damages. In order to evict him, you will need to go through the eviction process. If you want information about how to proceed with a legal eviction, please reply back to me and let me know that you want that information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok then I know . I do not need further help . Thank you!
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. Please be so kind as to leave a positive rating as that is the only way that we experts receive credit for the time spent assisting you. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you should need any additional assistance.