How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 1501
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In a month to month agreement (in California), no lease, no

Customer Question

In a month to month agreement (in California), no lease, no terms other than 30 day notice requirement .
If tenant gives written 30 day notice when rent is paid (no past due amounts), but fails to vacate by 30 days, and instead vacates after 45 days (stays 2 weeks beyond the expected date on the notice), can the landlord charge for the entire 2nd month or just the time the property was occupied?In other words, at the date he vacates, does the tenant owe for 15 days or a full 30 days?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

In such instances, because the agreement is month-to-month, the landlord is entitled to charge for the entire second month. The only way around this is if the landlord agreed to the 15 days and agreed to half the payment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. He did originally agree verbally to payment for 15 days. Then changed his mind.
I also believe he had another tenant in the unit before the month was over.Also. I stored a piece of expensive equipment (Value more than rent) in a neighbors unit to pick up later. The landlord used his key and took the equipment and has refused to return it until paid the additional month.
What recourse to I have here?
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

First, it is illegal for him to take the equipment to pay for the rent. You can sue him to recover the property or possibly press charges against him for theft (however, the police might say that this is a civil matter and not a criminal matter and therefore they won't get involved). Additionally, he would need to sue you to recover the other 15 days. You would argue that he verbally agreed to the modification, but the issue is that you don't really have much evidence unless he admits to it. In that case, the written contract would probably prevail. But if you give him payment for half of the month, he might not sue because of the potential headache.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I contacted the police. They said it us civil, but they will do what they call a "civil standby" where they will be present when we speak. I have documentation showing my ownership of the equipment, but the landlord can be pretty ornery and I'm not sure if they will order him to release the equipment or not.Other than the act of taking the equipment, his he committing a crime by holding it?
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

If the police said it was civil, then there isn't any other crime he is committing by holding it. I hope this has been helpful. Please let me know if my answers have been satisfactory.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions