How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 56549
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a POA for a person who is currently residing in an

Customer Question

I am a POA for a person who is currently residing in an assisted living facility. Prior to his being there his daughters came, one from Canada and one from England, to clear out his apartment and dispose of his belongings. His landlord, taking advantage of the situation, accused his daughters of putting large furniture items in the dumpster. This is definitely not true. When it became time for the return of the security deposit, the landlord fraudulently deducted $450 from the deposit for what he claims are 2 separate visits by the dumpster company at $100.00 apiece and also an additional charge of $250.00 for a service fee. I want to make a claim in small claims court but do not want to have to pay a lawyer a fee of what?? $750 to get back $450. What are my options?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.


Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

small claims court is set up for these very cases. You do not need a lawyer. Simply file a complaint with the clerk of the court and the case will be scheduled. Its very simple. Burden of proof will be on landlord to show basis for such charges, and court should grant you the money back and may award additional damages.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

If I can explain anything or clarify, just ask me.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions