Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Is it legal in Hawaii on a six month lease to charge 2800

Customer Question

Is it legal in Hawaii on a six month lease to charge 2800 first and 2800 last plus 2800 security deposit ?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Response: No, it is not legal. Hawaii Revised Statutes Section 521-44(b) only allow one security deposit that cannot exceed one month's rent. Also see the site below for more useful information:

https://www.landlordology.com/hawaii-landlord-tenant-laws/

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.