barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I recently had a fire in my apartment. I didn't cause the

Customer Question

hi - i recently had a fire in my apartment. I didn't cause the fire, but the landlord believes it was my fault. The stove was on when the fire department came and turned it off. I insisted I didn't leave it on.
Regardless, the fire caused the sprinklers to come on and damage my unit along with several other units. My fear is that all the damages to property will be pinned on me. My renters insurance lapsed. The property insurance paid for damages, but I'm concerned they will exercise subrogation rights and make me pay. What rights do I have?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

A lot of this is going to come down to the fire department investigation about what caused the fire.. If it is determined to have originated from your apartment and there was nothing defective with the stove, then you are liable here because you are liable for not just your own actions, but those of your guests and other occupants as well.

.

So if the insurer tried to sue you for any damages that they paid, you might have to consider filing bankruptcy to discharge any eventual judgment that they may obtain against you.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience,even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.