Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in Landlord-Tenant Law.
26296561

I am a renter in a three unit building. I am having knee

Customer Question

I am a renter in a three unit building. I am having knee replacement done in a week and it is recommended by nurses and my Dr to have a hand rail for the four steps I climb to enter my apartment. Is it the landlords responsibility to have handrails installed or should they have always been there?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, an owner of a 3 unit building would only be required to install railings if such railings are required by the local code based on the height of the staircase.

However, if such railings are no required by the code and the building has passed inspections and has a valid certificate of occupancy, then such railing would have to be installed by the tenant at the tenant's expense and would have to be removed once the tenant moves out.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.