Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I hired a contractor who is a neighbor to fix my deck. He

Customer Question
Hi, i hired a contractor...
Hi, i hired a contractor who is a neighbor to fix my deck. He tiled the deck appropriately, but the railing was cut into 4 pieces and he has so far been unable to fix it. The job was supposed to take 3 days, and after 2 weeks of him around my house and not finishing (although he usually said "I'll be done today" every day) i told him not to come back. He also says he fell off the ladder during one of the projects (which added to the original days). Now his lawyer says that i have to find 3 estimates to have the repair done and subtract their work from what I owe him. I paid him half of the $1780 fee up front. I think that's enough and I shouldn't need to deal with him any more.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/8/2016
Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
insearchoftheanswer

Hi Kevin. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Your neighbor and his lawyer are in no position to be calling the shots here. The fact of the matter is that the contractor failed to competently and timely perform as contracted and that puts the contractor in default. So, you have every right to terminate the contractor. If the lawyer thinks he wants to push this, I would let the lawyer know you are not going to pay another dime and if they pursue this, you'll be filing your own countersuit for not only breach of contract, but for gross negligence, asking for punitive damages.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer