How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 56475
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I find myself in a unique situation. My mother and I met the

Customer Question

I find myself in a unique situation. My mother and I met the owner of a plumbing company a year ago. He was very nice and has helped us a couple of time with the swamp cooler and we became friends to a point. He told me he had bought a house in Edgewood and I told him that I thought it was a good idea. It was a fixer upper. However to get to the point, he got arrested and is due to get out in September. His son brought me a copy of the lease purchase agreement. In part is states that at the end of the lease he could go on a month to month basis. He asked me if I could make the lease payment for him and he would pay me back when he got released. I paid the rent thru June plus the utilities. However, the owner of the property went over there and changed the locks and took all the contents, which included furniture, tools, new cabinets he was putting in, plus he told me had put two new buildings in the yard.
He told me what happened, I then called his Attorney and he told me that he was only involved with his immediate case and I would need to hire an attorney for his house problem. I called the owner of the property and she would not return my call. Jeff then sent me a power of attorney to handle this as he felt his son could not. I thought that maybe I should drive by her house and talk with her. I later found out that she has a criminal record of assault with a deadly weapon. I am a type 1 diabetic of 40 years and have both kidney problems and CHF and recently had eye surgery from diabetic retinopathy. I do not feel strong enough to have a confrontation with this person…..
I had someone drive me to the house in late June and found out she had changed all the locks on the house I found out that she is now about to sell all of his belongings in that house including all his furniture, new cabinets, and tools even though I made all the lease payments through June plus paid utilities. What I am hoping is for an attorney to send her a letter that will stop her from doing this, as with his tools is how he makes a living. I do have a copy of the lease which I can provide.
Please let me know what the options I may have to stop her. Even a letter to stop her from selling all his assets.
Thank you so much, ***** *****(###) ###-####
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.


Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

A few options are available. A lawyer letter can often brings on a settlement and provide a buffer of protection.

Complaint to the BBB and attorney general are second options. Civil lawsuit is a third option. I would suggest pursuing the first which tends to be easiest and cheapest.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions