How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rayanswers Your Own Question
rayanswers, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 42303
Experience:  30 years as a Texas lawyer dealing in landlord tenant
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
rayanswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a texas lessor file a small claims court case in texas

Customer Question

can a texas lessor file a small claims court case in texas for collection of a rental on a land lease in Oklahoma?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Unfortunately you have to file in small claims in Oklahoma where the land is located.You can do this by mail ,have to served, you would have to attend court.You can ask the judge to include travel expenses here in the judgment as well as your filing fees.But the court in Oklahoma where the property is located has jurisdiction, Texas would not even if you live here.

Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

You can sue here up to $7,500 in Oklahoma small claims yourself pro se.

Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

Sample forms and self help, the law here is the same all over Oklahoma.

I truly appreciate the chance to help you today and wish you the best.Let me know if you have more follow up.

If you can 5 star rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.