How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 31782
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have some questions regarding my rental house. My rental

Customer Question

My name is Jenny. I have some questions regarding my rental house.
My rental house had a water leak and was damaged badly even affects neighbors house. The water leak was caused by a device which installed by the tenant.
1. Who is responsible for the cost?
2. I have a house insurance, if the tenant is responsible for the cost for repairing, who should be responsible to notify the tenant that he should pay for the cost, house insurance company or myself?
3. If the tenant refuses to pay for the cost, who is responsible to sue tenant, house insurance company or myself?
If it is possible, please email me with the answers.
My email address is***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the tenant caused the damage (which is over and , then the tenant should be responsible for the damages and cost of repair.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If have insurance, then you could file a claim and ask the tenant to pay your out of pocket expenses, or you could demand that the tenant cover the repairs without involving insurance.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If the tenant refuses, you can sue....or if the insurance covers the damage, it can sue/seek subrogation of the claim.