How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 19471
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sublease a room man who do business in Brooklyn, NY, he

Customer Question

I sublease a room for a man who do business in Brooklyn, NY, he signed a lease for a year by using a company name and promised me he will give his ID for me later. I listen to him because he came from the same country like me. He didn't give his ID to me since he moved in, I try to get from him but he kept delay.
He has one month security deposit with me and he stop paying the rent since July 2016, the lease also expire in this month, I try to call him and text him many times and he told me that he is not going to pay me and waiting for me to kick in out, I don't know what to do because I didn't have his name, please advise me what to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You need to find his name and his address and then send him a notice to pay rent or move out. Then if he does not respond, you would file eviction action against him for non-payment. In the alternative, you can wait till the expiration of the lease. Then if he does not come to remove the items from his room, you need to text him to come and remove his stuff or you would discard the items. This way you save Court filing fee. For more information on how to treat the Tenant's abandoned property, click here.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.