insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.
17027240

I have a landlord that is not fixing problems with our

Customer Question

I have a landlord that is not fixing problems with our house,like ac has not worked right for the last three months and they refuse to fiX the problem. I am and my wife are not sleeping due to extream Sommer hear and missing work to meet there co,reactors that don't show up. Please help# ***** widdifield*****50258(###) ###-####,,,*****@******.***
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You absolutely have recourse. With every rental comes the implied warranty of habitability, which includes the tenant's right to the safe, healthy, peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the rented premises. When you continually have no AC, you are clearly not being afforded such enjoyment of the premises....and therefore the landlord would be in breach of the implied warranty of habitability. This puts the landlord in default. This gives you the right to terminate the lease and sue for damages, including the cost of moving plus include reimbursement of a portion of all prior rent to date to compensate for the reduced value of the rental property due to the reduced benefit of your rental bargain due to the inhabitability. Furthermore, although you have the right to terminate the lease due to the breach, you are not required to do so. Rather, you can file a claim against the landlord for damages due to this breach. Damages would include reimbursement of a portion of all prior rent to date to compensate for the reduced value of the rental property due to the problems, and to either reduce the rent going forward or pay you for temporary living expenses, at your option, until the problem is fully remediated.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would rather talk than text

Hi. I'll be happy to talk with you by phone. I tried to accept, but received this message: " Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation."