Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I am leasing a commercial space and there is a recurring

Customer Question
smell of sewage. My lease...
I am leasing a commercial space and there is a recurring smell of sewage. My lease expired in December and I have been paying on a month to month bases. I have been in the space for over a year and the landlord keeps saying that he will fix the problem but hasn't. I spent thousands of dollars to unfit the space and I am losing customers because of the horrible smell which sometimes makes my clients sick. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
7/5/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good morning. Does anyone know or think they know the source of the noisome problem?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The problem is sewage smell not noise. The landlord said that the he thought the problem was from the grease trap that he uses in the adjacent space which is a restaurant

Is there a written lease? Does it address the landlord's responsibility for maintenance of the sewers or plumbing?

Has the restaurant been contacted or their setup inspected?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The lease has expired but the original lease doesn't specify anything about the grease trap or the smell. There has not been an inspection of the smell or the restaurant. The owner of the building also owns the restaurant. We asked about the smell before signing the original lease because we had heard that there were sewage problems. We were assured that the problem had been taken care of by the owner

Did you wish to stay in the current location or find a new place to go?

Are you still online with me?

You are permitted, as a month to month tenant, to terminate the tenancy by giving at least 7 days written notice before the next rent payment is due.

If you wish to force the maintenance then you have a couple of options.

First, you can sue the landlord for breaching the tenancy by not providing maintenance to correct an issue, not you r fault, which makes the space unusable..

You can also, if the smell is traced to the restaurant, file a suit against the restaurant for nuisance and be awarded damages for the loss of the use and enjoyment of the leased premises.

You are not required to have an attorney to pursue either of these options, but, if you go to court, it is strongly recommended. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want to stay. I have invested a lot of money in this location and it would be a financial burden to leave

Then, if the landlord will not voluntarily make repairs you will need to sue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I continue to pay rent

No. If you stop while retaining possession they will be able to evict for nonpayment.

Loren, Lawyer