How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 118253
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a mixed use building with 3 units. there is no

Customer Question

i have a mixed use building with 3 units. there is no certificate of occupancy, nor any documented paper work on when the building was erected. the only paper work was on a garage built in the 30's on 1 side of the street and this is a corner building. also in 2001, the whole house was damaged and needed repair and the whole building had to be redone. i was wondering whether this would exempt me from rent control in san francisco?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It could possibly be since the building is greater than 50 years old. Under the San Francisco ordinance on rent control, your building can possibly be exempt if a building that is at least 50 years old and has undergone substantial rehabilitation after June 13, 1979, as long as the landlord has filed a petition for exemption on this basis and the Rent Board has determined after a hearing that the building was substantially rehabilitated.
So you would need to seek the exemption.