barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

My current landlord claims she is signing the house I am

Customer Question

My current landlord claims she is signing the house I am renting over to her brother in law, he claims she hasn't signed yet and he can't speak to me till she does. Since she claims she is signing the house over she wants to come remove the stove and refrigerator.... can she do that?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Since she claims she is signing the house over she wants to come remove the stove and refrigerator.... can she do that?

.

No, her transferring ownership of the house has nothing to do with your tenancy if the appliances were included in the lease. The brother in law would take the property subject to any existing lease contract.

.

If you are under a fixed term lease, then they can't change anything until the lease expires. If you are month to month, then they would generally have to give you a written 30 day notice of any changes to the tenancy before those changes take effect.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks