Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

In San Francisco, is someone (a tenant) who has a medical

Customer Question
marijuana prescription, allowed to grow...
in San Francisco, is someone (a tenant) who has a medical marijuana prescription, allowed to grow a very small amt on a rental property? the backyard is shared by 9 units, all renters. most of the tenants do not smoke pot. I work as a building mg. and need facts to explain to tenant why they cannot do this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/29/2016
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As the landlord, you have complete control over the common areas shared by your tenants and you do not have to allow a tenant with a medical marijuana card to grow pot in the common areas of the rental. The simple matter is that they do not have exclusive control over the back yard (which under the law is a common area of the complex) and share it with 8 units as well as all the invitees of those other 8 units.

Although Prop. 215 allows patients to grow their own medicine, as a CA landlord, or representative of the landlord, you are not legally obligated to allow it. Many cities and counties have passed zoning ordinances that restrict where patients can grow, in some cases outlawing cultivation altogether.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Good morning,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Is there anything else I can help you with this morning?

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney