How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rayanswers Your Own Question
rayanswers, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 41620
Experience:  30 years as a Texas lawyer dealing in landlord tenant
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
rayanswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If your landlord lives out of state can they withhold the

Customer Question

If your landlord lives out of state can they withhold the cost of their hotel and rental car fees from your security deposit while the come to town to inspect property upon lease termination?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

No they cannot .You should demand the whole deposit and file in small claims if you have too.This is strictly a damages deposit or back rent, here if you have paid your rent and the premises are clean you should get all of your deposit back.No hotel and rental car fees here, you are being robbed by the landlord.You have rights to sue here in small claims court for the amount the landlord is withholding and you are owed here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is also my understanding that the landlord needs to furnish receipts for each repair made correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I received in the mail was a hand written list of charges and "a personal note from the landlord"
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

Yes you need to respond here and ask for copies of receipts here.That's reasonable documentation for what they spent here.And no hotel and rent cars, that's ridiculous.You sue here if you have too,I can understand your frustration in all of this.

Thanks for the follow up.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions