How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My tenant took off after winning s unemployment case,instead

Customer Question

My tenant took off after winning his unemployment case,instead of paying his back rent of 3000.00 ish . I since learned unemployment is a "uncollectabel" 1) is there anything I can do besides putting it on his credit report?. 2) should I get a judgment against him for the future? 3) is there a time limit on a debt as his unemply was only re upes for a year. I am grateful for any advice you can give me . thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What state are you in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Las Vegas, NV.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You should get a judgment against the tenant, even though under NV law, the unemployment benefits may not be garnished. The reason you want a judgment is because eventually they will begin working or you can actually file to garnish/levy their bank account every 6-12 months and make them prove they are still on unemployment.

A judgment in NV is good for 6 years and you can file a motion to renew the judgment for another 6 years anytime before the 6 year period expires.

So, sue, get a judgment then wait 6 months if they do not pay, go to court and file for writ of seizure for their bank accounts and see if they have money every 6 months or so to try to collect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow that's great thanks. How long do I have to file a judgment in NV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also where do I file to garnish?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if I don't know his current address?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You file suit in your local court against him and you have 4 years to file a lawsuit for breach of an oral contract and 6 years to file suit for breach of a written contract against the party. You would have to win your lawsuit first and the court will award a judgment and you can file for garnishment in the same court that you get the judgment in.

As far as finding his address, that is something you would have to do some work and find and it may mean needing a private investigator to do so.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions