Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I'm renting a storage unit and had a lock on my unit until

Customer Question

I'm renting a storage unit and had a lock on my unit until someone broke into the unit. Can I sue the storage unit for not protecting my unit. Can I sue them for loss of stolen personal property?
Annette
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

HI - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You cannot hold the storage unit owner liable for the criminal actions of a third party. BUT, you can sue for negligence of the owner if the facility has improper lighting, improper security, no/insufficient cameras, etc.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You can seek damages for the negligent security of the company IF you can convince a judge or jury that the security was sub-par.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is code access into storage facility and camera outside. But No camera in the hallway or no code entrance into the hallway door to the inside storage units. So is that considered negligent security?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Well, that's a subjective issue and is really up to the judge or jury to determine if the security is adequate or not. But, if there are no cameras in the hallway, you likely have grounds for a claim.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.