Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Tenant question. We live in a house in Half Moon Bay 22

Customer Question

Tenant question.
We live in a house in Half Moon Bay for over 22 years, our landlady died 3 years ago, the inheritors gave us a 60 days notice. We did not have a lease, just month to month.
However over these 22 years, we have done substancial improvements on the property, having a verbal agreement that we could live here forever or buy the place if she ever wanted to sell. It is a little shack of 420 sf feet, in an UR zone, meaning it can not be expanded, nor a larger house built on the lot. Their realtor is trying not to disclose this fact and telling the trust they can get a larger amount of money that what we offer them to buy the place, $800k, wich they declined... can anyone help us, thanks
Mauro,*****, half moon bay, 94019
Phone(###) ###-####
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Also, what state is this in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We lived in a house in Half moon bay , California, for over 22 year. Our landlady died 3 years ago, the inheritors, no will , gave us a 60 days notice. We did not have a lease, juts month to month.
However over these 22 years, we have done substantial improvements on the property, having a verbal agreement that we could kive here forever or buy the place if she ever decided to sell .
It is a little shack of 420 sq feet, grandfathered in, in an Urban Reserve Zone, meaning it can not be expanded, nor a larger house be build on it.
Their realtor is trying not to disclose this fact and telling the trust they can get a large amount, larger than the $800k we offered them, which they declined...
The san mateo county has no rent control.
help please!, m
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "please help", "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ll get back to you tomorrow , thanks , m.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Sure. I will be online most of the day tomorrow. You may want to take a note pad and keep it near you and as you think of questions write them down so you don't forget them by tomorrow.