How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 33424
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a landlord and have been served by the county for code

Customer Question

hi, I am a landlord and have been served by the county for code violations . mytenents were the ones to call them in to check on my property. I have contacted a contractor and they made several appts but tenants are cancelling with them.. I am now close to my deadline and they allowed the contractor to repair the window parts but then began harassing the workers until the workers had to leave. .What can i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The best thing to do is have a local lawyer contact the county and see if they will give you an extension based on the issues with the tenants. Usually they will if a lawyer contacts them and it shouldn't cost you much.

You may have to bring a lawsuit against the tenants to force them to allow access or even evict them if your lease doesn't have a clause in it allowing you to force access. Again, the lawyer can send them a letter threatening a lawsuit if they don't allow access and if they harass the contractors. You may even want the contractor to record the interaction.

As I said, you can send the letters yourself but they aren't as likely to be effective and, in addition, the lawyer will phrase the letters in such a way that they can be used in a lawsuit later if it becomes necessary.