How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 37666
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I live with our sister in law as care givers in

Customer Question

My wife and I live with our sister in law as care givers in a mobile home park in Reedley California. We are not on the lease. Management has told us that they can ask us to leave any time they want or will raise the rent on a mobile home that my sister in law owns but rents the space. We have been living with my sister in law for 4 years and help with the rent and utilities. What rights do we have in the event we are asked to leave?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Mike,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I'm afraid that being a caregiver does not require that the park landlord allow you to stay in the park full time. An argument could be made were it just one of you and around the clock intensive care was needed that a live in was necessary and protected by the ADA regulations. Once you start adding additional caregivers, the chances of successfully arguing ADA entitlement diminish.

Mobile home parks may legally charge rent based on the number of occupants in the mobile home and that is a legitimate charge and so if they raise the lot rent, that would almost certainly be fully enforceable. And it would be preferable to being asked to relocate as well.

If by you staying in the park your sister in law is deemed to be violating the lease terms, then the landlord could seek to terminate her space rental based on the rule violation and force her to relocate the mobile home. So that is something to be avoided, and I would suggest that you approach the landlord about adding you and your wife to the lease agreement and deal with the increase in rent as a consequence.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,