How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 33527
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Los Angeles, California, I am suing a landlord keeping my

Customer Question

In Los Angeles, California, I am suing a landlord for improperly keeping my deposit. The building is owned by an LLC. The Corporation Commissions records show an address that turns out to be a post office box in a USPS post office. I have read somewhere that while I can not serve him by sending him a certified letter to the post office box, that under Post Office's Administrative Support Manual § 352.44e(2), the post office is obligated to give me the actual address of the mail box owner, at no cost to me.
My questions are, do you know this to be true, and what happens if this crafty person has not given the post office anything other than another P.o. Box address? or perhaps no address at all. If no address is given, can if serve by certified mail to the PO Box that is on the corporation commission's records? If the address given to the post office is another post office box, then what can I do. Apparently in California, I could serve someone by certified mail, if their mail box is at a commercial mail box business, but not if it is at the post office owned mail box. What is that true and what kind of sense does that make, and why the distincton?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

You would serve an LLC by a process server presenting the summons and complaint to the registered agent. All LLC's and corporations are required to have named a registered agent for the purpose of serving the entity.

The registered agent is listed on the California website by searching the name of the LLC.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions