Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My mother leases a condo in Montgomery County MD from the

Customer Question

My mother leases a condo in Montgomery County MD from the condo owner. She entered into a one-year lease commencing 7/1/15. However, the condo was undergoing a major remodel (paint, new kitchen & bathroom and carpeting) and the condo was not completed until mid-July. The condo owner has decided to sell his unit and has sent several nasty letters threatening to increase the rent from the current monthly rent of $750 to $2,000.
My mother is not ready to move-out by June 30th as she has not found a new place to live and she would prefer to depart in mid-July or 12 months from the date the remodeling was complete and available for her unrestricted beneficial use.
Other pertinent information - she is current on her rent and will be 80 years old soon.
Please advise a course of action under the above scenario. Thanks
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Would your mother be willing to file suit for breaching the lease and not delivering possession when promised?

Did your mother pay rent for the time she was not able to occupy the premises?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?