How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 33555
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went to small claims court and the temporary judge had no

Customer Question

I went to small claims court and the temporary judge had no idea what the law was to return the section 8 renters deposit. I was suppose to get $3000 back. My landlord had already taken me to court for an unlawful detainer that was previously decided by a judge that it was retaliatory and he threw the unlawful detainer out stating I owed her no money and I decided to leave when my lease was up. She never returned my last month rent or the deposit. I told this to the new temporary judge in the small claims court and he still beleive the landlord that I owed her money. I told him section 8 doors not allow any person on section 8 to move to a new apartment unless it is signed by the previous landlord that everything has been paid in full and this landlord signed this agreement. This judge must Own property's but he sure did not know the law and I want my money returned. I also do not want this to happen to any one else that is low income either. How much time do I have to get this rectified? Thankyou.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What do you mean by "get this rectified"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want my last month rent and deposit returned since I owed my landlord $0 money.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If the judge ruled against you in small claims court, and that's what it sounds like you're saying, then you can file a Motion for New Trial (it likely won't work) and then you have to appeal to get the case reversed.

If the Court of Appeals reverses the case then can "reverse and render" which is what you prefer because then they just enter a new judgment, or they can "reverse and remand" and then you go back to the same judge and do whatever the Court of Appeals says to do.

Please ask any follow ups in this thread.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked of I could appeal in marin superior court and they said no.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you file the small claims case or were you the defendant and filed a counterclaim?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I filed and this was a temporary judge that knew nothing about section 8 or/and knew nothing about a dismissed unlawful detainer because her claim was retaliatory and the previous judge said I owed her nothing. The judge in the small claims case said I had the burden of proof to show that I Did not owe her money...I felt it was another like I was in another unlawful detainer by his comments rather than I was there to seek return of my money. so both Marin housing paid her and so did I by her keeping my last month rent and deposit. What can I do?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, if you filed the original case then you are bound by the judgment and can't appeal. I thought you had been sued and then countersued, which is different.

You can still file a Motion for New Trial but that is your only option at this point.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I am going to be going offline in just a few minutes. If you have additional questions and I don't get them before I sign off then I will pick up and continue tomorrow morning.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need to follow up with you tomorrow afternoon then. No problem... Thankyou.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome.

Please don't forget to leave Positive Rating. That locks the question open from this point on and it won't time out.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions