Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

If an apartment complex is renovating all units when they

Customer Question
are vacated, can they withhold...
If an apartment complex is renovating all units when they are vacated, can they withhold money from your security deposit for this they are already replacing: new paint (changed colors for new renovation), carpet cleaning fee (all carpet was removed and replaced with laminate), and stove drip pans (stove was replaced with a new stainless steel unit)?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/15/2016
Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAttorney

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. My practice is limited to family law and appeals, but I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of our discussion? Thanks!

Please also understand I am typing my answer to your question – usually a detailed answer – and I’ll be back to you asap.

In Colorado, a landlord must return the entire security deposit when the tenant vacates, which means he can't take out money for the usual wear and tear in a building, such as needing new paint, cleaning carpets and stove drip pans. The law is clear about this, and it states as follows:

No security deposit shall be retained to cover normal wear and tear. In the event that actual cause exists for retaining any portion of the security deposit, the landlord shall provide the tenant with a written statement listing the exact reasons for the retention of any portion of the security deposit.

He can withhold some of the security deposit only if you, the tenant, agreed to have him perform work at your expense. I'm sure that's not the case here.

In your state, if the landlord wrongfully withholds the security deposit for any reason, he can be liable as follows:

The willful and wrongful retention of a security deposit in violation of this section shall render a landlord liable for triple the amount of that portion of the security deposit wrongfully withheld from the tenant, together with reasonable attorney fees and court costs.

Your landlord is doing usual wear and tear repairs and updating. This is not allowed to come out of your security deposit. If he says it does, you may want to discuss this with a landlord-tenant attorney, but if you're still living there, and expect to be there awhile, you may just want a consult with a landlord-tenant attorney (ask for a free consultation) and then you can decide if you want to do anything. You can also write a letter to the landlord, if he's planning on taking money out, stating that this is not permissible under Colorado law, that he must return the deposit in full under (C.R.S. 38-12-103(1) otherwise he will be liable for triple damages under C.R.S. 38-12-103(2) and (3a), attorneys fees and court costs.

Does this answer your question? If you need more information, let me know as I’m happy to give it.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you and best of luck to you!

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us.

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question. Id' rather be rated positively and if I didn't answer all of your questions, I'd like to have a chance to make sure that I do. Thanks in advance for rating me.

I am logging off now but I'll be back later to check if you need more information. I'm happy to help. Thanks!

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks!

Customer/p>
FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer