How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 9389
Experience:  I've represented both landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking attorney to handle an unlawful entry.

Customer Question

I am looking for an attorney to handle an unlawful entry.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Please describe what happened and where it happened.

"Unlawful entry" can mean several different things, so I need more information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter went out of town for school the apartment thought she abandon the apartment they enter the maintence supervisor and leasing consultant enter her apartment and took her laptop PlayStation x box her designer purses and 2 iPhones that was suppose to be sent back to attr. Upon her return from the school trip she came home home with the locks changed there was nothing file with the court and no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One of the maintence guys told me that the other workers took my daughters stuff out the apartment I have specific names and items they took
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

Was she current on the rent when this happened?

Is there anything in her rental agreement that required her to give notice to the landlord if she was going to be gone for a certain time?

In which State did this happen?

Has she regained possession of the apartment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she was current California no she hasn't regain possession.I went to talk to the accountant and she went by what the leasing agent told her my son went to check on my daughters apartment every other day and there was no notice left on the door. They knew they did something wrong because when I went there everyone was nervous and placing blame on other workers
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

They definitely committed a forcible entry and detainer (sections 1159 and 1160), also known as an illegal eviction, plus the theft of her personal property is a tort called conversion. Plus they invaded her privacy. They had no right to enter the apartment, nor to change the locks, nor to look through or take her property, and she has a very good case against the landlord and his or her agents.

She can get a free consultation from some of the landlord tenant attorneys listed by location here.

She needs to follow up on this with a local attorney as the Experts here are not allowed to represent her.

Most attorneys would take this type of case on a contingent fee, so it may be possible for her to get a very good lawyer without having to pay much in advance.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank ypu so much.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied, please remember to rate my answer as 3 or higher, otherwise my time here is completely uncompensated.