How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 102146
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am wondering if I can file an emergency motion to stay

Customer Question

I am wondering if I can file an emergency motion to stay writ of possession in texas? I won't have the one month's rent to place into the court system until Weds but it is due today by 5 and wondering could the writ, which would be issued tomorrow morning, but stayed until then?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, employment and contract law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

<div style="mso-element:para-border-div;border:none;border-bottom:solid windowtext 1.0pt;
mso-border-bottom-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;padding:0in 0in 1.0pt 0in"><p class="MsoNormal" style="tab-stops:175.0pt 379.5pt 400.0pt;border:none;
mso-border-bottom-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;padding:0in;mso-padding-alt:0in 0in 1.0pt 0in">At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you. Are you okay with rating me? I would really appreciate it!
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

In general, a court doesn't grant a stay of execution unless the tenant can pay all current and delinquent rent to the court when filing the request. You could run the risk if you pay only a portion of it, that the court would deny the stay and then turn over the amount paid to the landlord if he has gotten a money judgment as well. Then you would be evicted as well as have lost any money you could use to move.

There is no guarantee it will be granted, but it might be better to file without paying and also request a hearing. Then at the hearing you can see if you can negotiate a payment agreement by paying a lump sum and working out a plan for the rest of the money with the judge's help.

If you really want to stay in this apartment and you will have the money on Weds, it is possible a judge would consider a stay for a few days in order to let you get the rent deposited.

If you are able to consult a landlord-tenant attorney, I would advise that to have an an advantage in court by using a lawyer IF your hearing is granted. In the meantime, since you are running out of time, there are forms you can get online from private companies and probably also from the TX court website that can be used for a motion for a stay of possession.

There's not enough time to find an attorney for this but you may be able to call the court clerk and see if they can direct you to the form for a motion. If not, follow the court website or use a private company (such as Rocket Lawyer) to create a motion for a stay in TX. You can always try getting a lawyer if you are granted a hearing. If you need help getting a landlord-tenant attorney, I'd just need to know the name of the biggest town or city in your area and I'd be happy to find a landlord-tenant attorney for you if you get a chance to have a hearing.

Does this answer your question? I am more than happy to answer additional questions based on this one if you want.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. If you need additional information please let me know. Best of luck to you!

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you, ***** ***** you for allowing me to help you today.

Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

I'd rather continue answering your question than have you rate me negatively, so please let me know if there's anything additional information you need. Thank you in advance for rating me!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't really answer my question or tell me anything I didn't already know. Not helpful
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Your previous expert has opted out and I have opted in.

With all due respect to the previous expert, while it is technically possible to file the Motion to Stay, it will likely be a waste of time. In landlord/tenant cases, the Court will normally not stay a Writ of Possession unless (a) the tenant has paid the bond, or, (b) there is another extraordinary circumstance. Period. There are really no other exceptions.

So honestly, it it possible, but unlikely to be granted.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions