How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rayanswers Your Own Question
rayanswers, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 41537
Experience:  30 years as a Texas lawyer dealing in landlord tenant
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
rayanswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ri tenant lease is up. We refused to renew. They asked month

Customer Question

ri tenant lease is up. We refused to renew. They asked for one month extension which new tenant was willing to accommadate. They are now refusing to leave until a furth delayed date. I'm losing tenant in waiting. There reason is they are not ready to close on a purchased home. They have financial resources to go to a hotel in the interim. Will the court consider this justifiable in an eviction for a reason other than non payment? Am I likelybti prevail for loss of inco e during the re-rental period?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You would want to give them 30 days written notice to terminate them as month to month tenant and then evict them here.You don't have to have a reason other than you are terminating the month to month rental with written notice.And then you file for forcible entry and detainer(eviction) here if you have to in order to get them out.You can apply their security deposit and pursue any lost rent in the forcible entry and detainer.

I would give them the 30 day notice today if you have not done so, hand deliver one, post one on the door and take pics and send another certified mail.

I appreciate the chance to help you today and wish you the best here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RI requires it to be mailed with a first class stamp. It does not specify certification is needed. I do live out of state and have also supplied them with the same written notice via deliver receipt email 60 days out and 20 days out. Is this sufficient in RI? I noticed you are from Texas. I lose the tenant in aiting in twenty days so an additional service to the door does not aid the effort for THIS tenant.
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

You would want to mail it certified here so you have proof of service.Its the only way to show the received it.Thanks

Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

If you can positive rate, five stars it is much appreciated.Thanks again.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions