How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 56829
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is regarding to a rental property in Vallejo CA. We

Customer Question

This is regarding to a rental property in Vallejo CA.
We purchased a property with section 8 tenants and we became the owner the end of April.
Tenants stayed inside for the whole of May and moved out on June 4th.
We signed a payment plan with them to give them sometime to move and pay by installments for May's rent.
We kept the section 8 office informed of the situation.
They moved out on June 4th as planned but they didn't pay May's rent as promised.
They were supposed to pay part of June 4th and the rest on June 18th.
How can we get the money back?
Call the section 8 office?
If what I do is wrong in the first place, how should I handle the situation next time? the section 8 tenants told me they had no money to pay me in May since they wanted to move and they needed money. I wanted to avoid eviction and signed the payment plan instead of pushing them to pay by serving three day notice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

How much are you owed back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

$869 from tenants

and $481 from section 8.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Have you considered filing a civil court action or pursuing through landlord tenant clerks office in court to pursue such recovery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I give pressure to section 8 specialist who works with her?

Will her nonpayment put her in jeopardy of losing her benefits?

What should I do next time if I was in the same situation when I purchased this kind of property?

How to file a civil court action? does it take a long time?

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
You may put such pressure. Non payment can compromise section 8. Lock in leases. File a civil lawsuit through clerk's office or local and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

thanks in advance.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions