How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If the property where i live is sold do tenants have to pay

Customer Question

if the property where i live is sold do tenants have to pay back rent to new landlord? and shouldn't the tenants be notified?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

What state is this in regards ***** *****?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ticonderoga ny
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you;

so for past due amounts, that would be a claim that arose between the contracting parties, ie the initial landlord, and the tenant; as such any past due amounts would be payable to the initial landlord. The landlord would have "standing" to sue for past due rents; the current landlord generally would not as the current landlord was not a party to the contract (unless the contractual agreement provided that the initial landlord transferred of all his rights/obligations to the new landlord).

Generally the lease will specify what happens upon the sale of the property; if there is no such provision, then the lease continues, until it expires by the terms of the lease. Any lease that becomes due is payable to the current landlord.

While the landlord does not need to notify the tenant of the sale, once the sale is complete the landlord must transfer the security deposit to the new owner, and provide the tenant the new owner's name and address.

Please see:


Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see how the above worked out for you.

If you decide to hire an attorney:

Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:

Thank you for using JA!

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions