How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LandlordTenantAnswer Your Own Question
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 28364
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LandlordTenantAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rented an office $ a month and put security deposits of 3

Customer Question

I rented an office for 800$ a month and put security deposits of 3 months. And I had very big financial problems and I had to leave the city 3 months without paying the rent. Now there are asking for 12,000$ ! How can I cure the situation ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Where are they getting the $12,000 amount from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well they are not because I can't afford it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume it is somewhere in the lease as failure to pay or late fees
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are sending it to collections they said
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. In a situation like this, if it is with collections, you can try and settle with them, if you want. Often times, the collection agency will take less then what is owed, since they get a percentage of whatever they are able to recover. Now, if you do not have money to pay and try and settle or you do not care to, then eventually they will sue and get a judgment against you. They will then try and go after you to satisfy the judgment. If they had 3 months of security deposits, those should have been applied to what is owed and they should only be going after you for the balance, so you can dispute this and ask for an accounting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please see above

Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help, so please let me know.