How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I rented a room to a lady from Feb-May 2016,

Customer Question

My husband and I rented a room to a lady from Feb-May 2016, however she decided she was moving on March 28th. Which left us with no rent for 1-2 months. Her lease stated May 1st or 15th whichever she decided. She stated that we could use her security deposit as her April rent payment. So we agreed. We then received a letter on May 10th stating she demands her security deposit back and stated the MD P code for this. In this case ,breach of lease ,do we have to give her the security deposit back?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years practice experience. You shouldn't have to return the deposit. She broke the lease.