Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

My landlord wants to charge me $500 plumbing call that per

Customer Question

My landlord wants to charge me $500 for a plumbing call that per plumber invoice ( who they called and have a contract with) was due to the feminine products in the line. Invoice also mentioned "no proper access due to lack of 4 " clean out which im sure made the bill really high. Also plumber is under contract with them so I'm sure would say whatever they'd want them to. It's a new management company but new owner doesn't want to get involved - do we have a right not to pay? I didn't see any special provisions for this in the lease and definitely the flooding made the house uninhabitable if wasn't fixed then and there ( If this helps). Thank you In advance
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this. Please tell me: 1) What state is this in?2) Did you place the feminine products there? This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's in California and not to my knowledge we didn't, but we've had guests so who knows ...
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. LAST question. How long have you been living there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 years never had any problems and very easy on the landlords.. It's an old unit so things go wrong. But new management company and new owners now
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. A landlord does have the duty to provide a warranty of habitability to a renter. See HERE and scroll down to CA. This means paying for the issues at their expense. However, this liability to pay for the issues extends only to a problem that is caused by the property. If the problem is caused by the tenant (or their guest), the tenant can be held liable for reasonable fees needed to fix the problem. Which is what likely happened here (even if this was your guest). The landlord can bill you for the contractor work. Now, if the bill is unreasonably high, this may be negotiated or even heard in small claims court if it comes to this. However, the point is that they can bill for this. If your guest caused this, then you can sue your guest for indemnification for your liability. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they can indeed but can I dispute this and have a reasonable chance to win the case? Or at least negotiate it down?
Did u see the part about the lack of clean out? Wouldn't it make it unreasonably high expense?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. they can indeed but can I dispute this and have a reasonable chance to win the case? Or at least negotiate it down? Possibly yes. However you would have to be willing to go to small claims court (or bluff that you would). Someone in your situation may wish to write a letter stating that you have no problem paying reasonable costs, but that these are unreasonable for the work done and you wish to discuss them. Did u see the part about the lack of clean out? Wouldn't it make it unreasonably high expense? That becomes subjective. Did the plumber mean that the landlord did not clean out the drain before you moved in? If so, then this works in your favor. OR, did the plumber mean that the pipe was stuffed up due to your use? If so, that works against you. You may wish to clarify that with the contractor. Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The line is actually missing something it's supposed to have per invoice
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
What is it missing, exactly?