How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 29981
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I was at a resident and was invited by another person to

Customer Question

If I was at a resident and was invited by another person to live there but their lease that they're signed was not a valid lease and the property belong to somebody else is that considered squatting or u.s. quarter even though you have moved your stuff in and pay rent can the real landlord show up and just put you out without notice or at any given time without properly going through legal ramifications
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. What state are you in? You said they signed a lease that wasn't valid - do you know why? Did the owner initially give them permission to move in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know I was invited by the young lady to move in with her she retained this man off Craigslist who said that he was the owner of the property and took her to the property with keys and showed her the property and she signed a lease with him for 6 months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Lacey are you there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry Lucy are you there
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'm here. It takes a minute to type an answer to your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Squatter's rights as most people think of the term is basically a legal myth. In order for a person in Illinois to gain a right to stay in someone else's property, they need to have lived there without the owner's consent for 20 years. Your friend is a tenant. The landlord must go to court and file a notice of eviction to have her removed, if she has breached the lease. She has rights, even if the lease turns out not to be valid. A landlord who puts a tenant out without going to court first can be sued for damages - meaning any storage costs incurred, hotel expenses, and things like that. She can also get a court order stating that she has to be let back. You're basically considered a guest in this scenario, so it's up to your friend to assert your rights. However, if the landlord moved, touched, or damaged any of your belongings, then you may have a cause of action against them for conversion. This type of thing is usually handled in Small Claims Court. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so I did talk to the owner's grandson who was standing in her place he came here on Friday morning 2 ask me to leave without eviction I had moved all my furniture and I explained the situation to him he did set up a verbal agreement with me in front of the police officers here in Chicago that I will be allowed to get my things out within 3 to 5 days now we agreed upon a Saturday morning I'm sorry we agreed upon a Sunday evening meeting but he came and showed up early with 4 guys from the suburban area he lived in took all my property out on the street stole two flat-screen TVs out the house damage stuff and in the process of sending my things out people came and stole property in which Neighbors Saul and filmed and verified so what do I do from here
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear that. You can sue for the value of your belongings that were stolen. He had no right to enter without a court order and no right to put your possessions where they were likely to get stolen. He needed to go to court and get a court order, then give you notice so you could be there and avoid this situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay what is your suggestion for me to do at this point things were damaged and stolen he had keys to the property I gave him keys to the property because he had access to the property so do I get a lawyer and file a lawsuit with the court
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Lucy are you there or is this the end of my questions
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
The next step is to file a lawsuit. You do not need a lawyer, but you can hire one if the value of your items at the time they were taken was more than $10,000. You can also ask the judge to order him to pay you punitive damages because he wrongfully exerted dominion and control over your belongings. Think about what would be a fair amount. If you'd prefer to avoid going to court, you can also try sending a demand letter, via certified mail, offering NOT to sue if you pays you an amount you suggest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay last question to see what is the procedure I need to do first in order to get this ball rolling this was just a day ago when they took my property out the house without me even being there and kind of lying to me about setting up an appointment to meet them to get my property what do I need to do or how should I go about doing this first I'm sorry
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Check the website for the Small Claims Court in your area. See if they have forms you can fill out to open a case. If they do, you can download them. If not, visit the courthouse and get forms there.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Also, start looking on sites like ebay or Craigslist to see how much people are selling items similar to yours for. In court, you get the market value of the used item, not replacement value (unless it was brand new), and it's up to you to prove to the judge what that is.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Did you need any more help with this?

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions