Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

In May, 2014, my wife and I co-signed a one (1) year lease

Customer Question
on a condo with our...
In May, 2014, my wife and I co-signed a one (1) year lease on a condo with our daughter in Roswell, GA. This lease ended in May, 2015. Our daughter renewed the lease for an additional year. The landlord states that we, my wife and I, are still responsible on the new lease, even though neither of us signed for the additional year. How can this be binding if we did not sign anything?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/12/2016
Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. If your daughter signed a new lease, then you would no longer be bound by the cosigning on the first lease. However, if this is just an extension of the first lease (for example if the lease has an option to renew or automatic renewal), then all of the terms and duties of the first lease would still apply. Meaning that you would still be cosigners. I can't tell you which is the case since I am not your attorney and cannot review all of the documents involved. If you have access to the original lease and anything that your daughter might have signed the second time, you might want to have them reviewed by a local real estate or landlord/tenant law attorney to confirm whether or not the original lease is still in effect and was just extended, or whether a brand new lease was executed, in which case you would not be legally bound. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you
Hello again,I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 12th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/Thank you.
Marsha411JD, Attorney