barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I would like to get out of my 2 year contract 3 months early

Customer Question

I would like to get out of my 2 year contract 3 months early as I have bought a house. The property management company said the only way to get out is to pay a termination fee of 2 months rent that equals $2900. They said even if it gets rented it has nothing to do with your termination fee. I am in Henderson Nevada. I found a NRS 118... that stated they had to try and rent it and I only have to pay for the months that it is not rented. I was told that is not relevent and they would ruin my credit.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.. I found a NRS 118... that stated they had to try and rent it and I only have to pay for the months that it is not rented. I was told that is not relevent and they would ruin my credit..Basically they are trying to scare you into not breaching the contract because legally if you do, you are correct and they have a legal duty to mitigate their damages by trying to re-rent the property as soon as possible and can only hold you liable for any lost rent until they do or the lease expires, whichever happens first..So to minimize your potential liability, if you have to breach, make sure you leave the place as close to spotless as you can so the landlord can immediately put it on the market and hopefully rent it quickly..,thanksBarrister