How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask barristerinky Your Own Question
barristerinky, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 38238
Experience:  Attorney over 17 years, landlord 26 years
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
barristerinky is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I signed a lease apartment with no deposit or payment

Customer Question

If I signed a lease for an apartment with no deposit or payment but have changed my mind and have not moved in, how long do I have to change my mind and not be obligated to fullfil the contract. What law supports your answer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..There is no "cooling off" period in a lease contract unless it is specifically stated in the contract itself. Once a lease is signed, it is legally binding the instant that the tenant signs agreeing to the terms, whether any money has exchanged hands or not..However, if the tenant wants to break the lease, then they can notify the landlord that they are breaking the lease and then the landlord has a legal duty to try and re-rent the property to mitigate their damages. He can then only come after the tenant for any lost rent up until he rents it..But if the tenant notifies the landlord immediately that he is breaking the lease, it is very unlikely that the landlord woudl try to sue the tenant and will likely just put the property back on the market for rent...As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years.....thanksBarrister