How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear attorney, I was served with a summons from the city of

Customer Question

Dear attorney, I was served with a summons from the city of San Francisco in reference to a litigation between a tenant and a landlord, and I am a realty agent for the owner. I been named in the suit as co defendant, I am a retired person and have no income please tell me what shall I do, thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,You are going to want to ensure that you file a "responsive pleading" (an answer, a motion to strike, or a demurrer) within 30 days of the date of filing.If you fail to file a responsive pleading, the plaintiff will "take your default" and you will lose the ability to defend the action on its merits (assert appropriate defenses, such as identifying whether or not you are liable, etc.).You can also consider filing a "cross complaint" against other parties - for example if you believe that the causes of action are due to conduct or actions by your former client (the landlord), you may want to file a cross-complaint for indemniety against the landlord (so if you end up owing the plaintiff, you can get reimbursed by the landlord).If this is a small claims action, you can find most information online (see:, if this is a "limited civil" (up to $25,000) or "unlimited civil" (all other matters) you will want to visit your local law library ( and review the practice guide "Civil Procedure Before Trial" by the Rutter Group (in my opinion this is the easiest to use practice guide and walks you through how to go about litigating a civil matter).