How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 56485
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tenant who overflowed the toilet in my condo by stuffing

Customer Question

I have a tenant who overflowed the toilet in my condo by stuffing it with toilet paper and it leaked into the condo downstairs. The owner downstairs wants the repairs to be paid by me. Am I liable for the repairs, even though it was not due to faulty maintenance?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
You are liable as owner of the property. You should file a claim with your insurer. However, you may also seek to have tenant fully contribute and your insurer may handle that part for you as well, since tenant was reckless and negligent in directly causing the damages.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Kindly rate me positively.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions