How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 30376
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lease an apartment in Stamford Ct with 2 other girls. I am

Customer Question

I lease an apartment in Stamford Ct with 2 other girls. I am 28 years old. 1 Girl has cause me a lot of stress and she always looking for a argument. The problem is I was just in the hospital for 2 days I have blood clots in my lungs. The Dr's are trying to break them down with a strong blood thinner. I have to move do to not only the stress but I need someone that can watch me. The blood thiner has cause me to be a hemophiliac or if i where to get injured I could bleed out. I have until August 2016 on my lease can I get out of my lease due to my disability? I asked the landlord told her I was moving and ask if I could sublet it. She first sent me in writing yes I could then backed out verbally. What are my rights?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The Fair Housing Act requires landlords to make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. However, it's unfortunately not considered reasonable for a landlord to have lose money because of your disability. You can request to be let out of the lease, and you can ask to be allowed to sublet, but if you decide to break the lease and move without first finding someone new, then you'd be liable for rent until the end of the lease.

Check your lease to see if it prohibits subletting. If it doesn't, you don't even need the landlord's permission and you can tell her that. If it DOES, then you can send her a written note from your doctor stating that you need to move for your health and that you're going to sublet as a reasonable accommodation under the Fair Housing Act, in accordance with her written permission. She really doesn't have any basis for refusing if you find the tenant yourself, because she doesn't lose any money. As long as you find someone who can pass a credit check, she'll essentially have to accept the new tenant.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.