Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I have a 3000 sq.ft. four bedroom/ four bathroom house on University

Customer Question

I have a 3000 sq.ft. four bedroom/ four bathroom house on University of Virginia campus in Charlottesville, Is it possible to rent it to four unrelated tenants without breaking city laws ? Thank you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The laws that were on the books about renting to unrelated persons are archaic and have not been enforced in years. You can indeed rent to four unrelated tenants in the same residence. This is a law that goes back a hundred years or more and it was designed to stop houses of ill repute or people from living in sin, but they never have changed the law, they simply ignore enforcement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information but can you possibly scan and send me the law.
Thank you for your reply.I apologize, but I do not have a scanner available to do that. However, here is a landlord tenant book that says you can rent to them as long as it is not MORE than 4. See: https://arlingtonva.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2013/10/Tenant-Landlord-Handbook-2002.pdf